I think design and especially kitchen design is at one of its most exciting times and is undergoing a sea of change as we speak (or as we write?).
Opulence no longer carries the same perceived style as before. While we see a greater emphasis on clean lines and clutter free looks we also see appliances, hardware and fittings getting more sophisticated than ever before. There is also resurgence in interest in cooking and baking.
People are taking to the kitchen in droves and becoming master chefs to impress! So here is my take on the kitchen trends to look out for in the future.
1. Open plan! – If u can’t join them, break a few walls!
The cook has been boxed into the kitchen far too long! The time has come to break open the walls and bring the family, friends and fun in!
Integrated dining and cooking areas are becoming increasingly popular as a kitchen is now not solely seen as a woman’s domain. Gender roles have changed and now so must the kitchen. Double income families tend to cook together and do not want to spend time cut off. Nothing like a open kitchen to warm up family and friends and make them feel at home
2. Modularity – This applies primarily to India where we have seen the time immemorial trusty carpenter to manufacture the kitchen where he works on site and takes unknown lengths of time and finally you don’t have a clue as to how to your kitchen will finally look.
Today we see a strong shift toward modular kitchens which provide a wide selection of colours with great looks, finish and proper ergonomics. Sophisticated hardware and space saving solutions are also becoming increasingly popular and will continue to do so as space is more of a premium and ease of use is something always sought for.
That said, the carpenter will not be a total write off. Watch out for custom artistic pieces, worktops, islands, butcher tables and other such lovelies.
3. New age appliances/surfaces – Fabulous fun cooking equipment, appliances designed in countless configurations offering any feature you can dream of, including cool high tech features and lots of color and finishes. The grill pans, specialty knives, shining stainless steel art-work like accessories , bring us to a more sophisticated level in our culinary lives. Non toxic surfaces like corian, custom backsplashes/worktops in anything from stainless steel to glass to cherries encased in epoxy to appliances for healthy foods and homes such as intelligent dishwashers, bio refrigerators, ventilation that automatically turns on/off, electronic on/off faucetry and many more innovations designed to create and enhance a healthy lifestyle in the kitchen.
4. Integrated appliances – They are all the rage now. The kitchen will show off a seamless look and will have people guessing where the refrigerator/oven/dishwasher and other appliances are.
5. Go Green! – Slowly but surely India too is waking up to the green revolution. Appliances now come with the energy star rating, CFL and LED lights are used gaining popularity. Faucets are sensor controlled to save water. Paints are becoming non toxic. This trend is here to stay! A healthy sign! Living sustainable is the only long term solution to revive this mess we have created.
Yup! So the near future looks promising! – kitchen design wise!